Our stylists are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to “Hairology”. So we picked their brains for a few fun facts about hair and came up with a top ten list of fun facts.
1) The average person will “shed” or loose an average of 100 strands per day. Whoa! Luckily, the average person has about 100,0000 hairs on their head and is constantly growing new hairs.
2) The growth rate for human hair is just under a 1/2 inch per month which is equal to about 5 inches a years. To put that into perspective, for Rapunzel’s hair to reach the ground of a three-story tower (without any Disney magic) she would be about 75 years old before her prince could climb it.
3) The person with the longest locks, according to the Guinness World Records.com, is a Chinese woman named Xie Qiuping. She was added to Guinness World records on 8 May 2004, with her hair measuring over just over 5 meters/18 feet!
4) You hair goes through growth spurts and tends grows a bit faster during the summer, because heat helps to stimulate circulation and growth.
5) Healthy hair can stretch up to 30% when wet.
6) If you pluck a hair you will not grow 5 more in its place. You will, however, grow a new hair that will live between 4-7 years (if left un-plucked).
7) Most people have had goosebumps when their body is cold. This happens because the body is trying to trap heat in, so the muscle attached to hair follicles tightens up making it plump up and causes the hair in to “stand” or poke out.
8) The core structure of your hair shaft can be used for forensic drug testing, determining ethnicity and show chemical changes from processes such as coloring or perming your hair. It can only reveal your gender if the fleshy pulp is still attached for DNA testing.
9) Americans cleanse their hair and average of 4.5 times a week, however, we are merely the middle of the pack with our hair love affair according to The Atlantic.com.
10) Not really a fun fact- but a fact worth noting… When your stylist asks if you have colored your hair at home, it’s not to shame you for not coming into the salon. The fact is, many store-bought hair color brands contain metallic salts. Over time these salts buildup and can cause breakage and discoloration if colored or permed with professional products. So tell the truth, let your stylist know exactly what products you have used at home to ensure you get the most out of your next service 🙂